sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I just purchased a Renault Laguna 2005. It will not start at

Customer Question

JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I just purchased a Renault Laguna 2005 . It will not start at all now . Got battery replaced yesterday even though it was charging . Old battery was charging but got it replaced just in case .
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Renault Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When I bought the car it was running fine . I stopped it to get petrol and its started fine again . it does sound a bit loud on the motorway as speed increases . I left the car for 3 hours came back and it would not start . No juice in the battery - got breakdown recovery who charged the battery and it started fine . We replaced the battery just in case . I drove home - fine . Woke up the next day - same problem it would not start . Seems like battery is losing charge somehow ?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think the next option is to charge the battery and drive to mechanic . Just not sure who yet . Will they need to run diagnostics and could there be a serious problem . the engine sounds perfect when idling - ok a bit loud on the motorway at 90-100kmph but that could bd down to just age and mileage i hope .... 200k km's on the clock .
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I may have to cancel this service soon as I need to get some help and may just go to the garage . Thanks so far .
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If the battery is dying while the car is parked then you have a draw. There is a component drawing current while the key is off and all components should be asleep.

The problem may be quite a few things including a light coming on or staying on (such as a glovebox light), a control module staying awake, an aftermarket radio or amplifier, and it isn't uncommon for an alternator to fail and cause a draw.

What will need to be done is an ignition off draw test. After the battery is charged again an ammeter will need to be set up between a disconnected battery cable and it's post. If the draw exceeds about 40 mA then there is cause for concern.

At that point the next step will be to remove fuses one at a time to see if the draw drops, and then concentrate on components on that circuit. The alternator positive cable can be removed to see if the draw drops, and if so then the alternator will need to be replaced.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks for your response sprinkles08 . What you have said tallies up with what I have found on the internet . Something is drawing on the battery and its a case of finding out what ... I am going to take it to a garage . Should I bring it specifically to an auto mechanic ? Would they need to do a diagnostic on it as well , this could cost a bit and from what you have said I'm not sure it will reveal the source of the draw on the battery . It sounds like a process of elimination which may take them some time . Could it be a costly exercise ? I am down to nothing money wise now so living in a state of fear if this thing drags on . Thanks for your help so far . Would a new alternator / 2nd hand cost alot ?

A dealer would be the best place to take it if possible, otherwise any independent shop well versed in electrical work would be fine. The cost to diagnose it will depend on how much time they have to spend on it, but it probably won't exceed 1-2 hours. Replacing the alternator if necessary wouldn't be a major cost.