Ross
Ross, Diagnostic and repair technician
Experience:  Licensed diagnostic and repair technician
70583916

I have 1.0 corsa c starts with a push but wont start

Customer Question

hi i have 1.0 corsa c starts with a push but wont start cranking it ,new bat and crank sensor still wont start any ideas?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi im kevin so just to be clear engine turns over ok ? Normal speed?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
engine turns at normal speed just doesnt fire give it a push and it starts within 5 metres ive re earthed the ecu fitted a new crank sensor new battery
Expert:  Ross replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is***** am a diagnostic technician and look forward to working with you.

This is usually caused by the ignition switch. When the ignition is ON, the engine ECU is receiving power and is ready for the engine to start, when you turn the key to crank the engine, the ECU need to be live to begin the injection and ignition process. The switch in the back of the ignition switch can go faulty which cuts the ignition power when the key is turned to the the cranking (start) position preventing the engine from starting but allows it to be bump started.

Another possibility is the ignition main circuits relay or ECU Relay going weak, this often causes the relay to switch off when cranking (as the voltage drops slightly) effectively causing the same problem as above.

Please feel free to ask if you have any further questions, if your happy with my answer please don't forget to provide a rating, thanks, Ross.