gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

Im ***** *****, I have got a blue 04 plate vw beetle

Customer Question

Hi, im ***** *****, I have got a blue 04 plate vw beetle convertible with a manual roof.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Thanks Max, when I try to open the roof and click it in to position it is proving to be almost impossible to get the roof to click into place in order to be able to drive the car with the roof down, any suggestions?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $24 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Sorry, please message by return rather than call, looking forward to your soonest reply. Ron
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
if it helps the registration of the vehicle is NV54 VXU
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, can I have a reply please, I have paid you, the initial response to my question was answered quickly then heard nothing not even an acknowledgement since? Thanks
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 9 months ago.

There are a couple of latches in there that need to engage in order for the top to lock down Over time they wear and it may take a lot of force to push it down. More so if there is something caught in the roof area. With the roof up, make sure there is nothing in the back area below the window, or along the sides. I have found tennis shoes, scarves, and even a nice pashmina in there.

Next, make sure that the roof inner liner is not loose from the clips along the side. It is a common issue that the cables may break from the eyelets along the rails, and then the inner roof liner gets stuck in the mechanism when closing. As you start to lower the roof, watch to make sure the inner liner "folds" correctly and pulls the inner corners toward the edge.