sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2009 lincoln navigator here, the problem happens

Customer Question

I have a 2009 lincoln navigator here, the problem happens when the car is hot, after driving about 5 miles it feels like the tranny is stuck on 2nd or 3rd. Rhen the wrench pops up. Then is i leave the car overnight the next day it shifts fine at first then same problem happens. The tranny was rebuilt already and its still doing the same. Any ideas on what to check next?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if the trans is going into limp in. When the controller sees an issue it thinks can cause damage or thinks it doesn't have complete control then it will lock you in a single gear.

There are many possible causes for limp in including solenoids, speed sensors, wiring, internal trans or valve body issues. Limp in is most often an electrical issue, assuming there is no slipping.

The first step in diagnosing the problem will be to use a scan tool or code reader to see what fault codes are setting, and then testing would need to be done at the time the problem is happening to know exactly what is going on.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi, im in philippines and its a long story, would be easier over the phone to explain. Internet here sucks too so id rather call you on your local number, can i have your number? Thanks
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Will pay you and rate you here, just need to talk to a lincoln tech or tranny tech
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Here are the fault codes p0735 tranny gear #5 incorrect ratio. U0121 lost communication with the abs control module. U2473 unexpected vehicle speed(vss) .

Im a full time tech and at work this morning,I'll get back to you as quickly as I ca!

I see that you opened a duplicate question. I responded to your question yesterday but the post went to another question due to a site issue. PLease respond in this thread.

Does the ABS light stay on at the time the trans doesn't shift?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The abs light does not come on.
What i have noticed, after erasing the codes, while driving 1st to 4th gear it shifts fine, then from 4th to 5th then to 6th, i hear like farting sound after couple of times doing the the wrench light comes on , when it comes on it goes to limp home stuck on 3rd. But after a few hours of rest without erasing any codes the car will shift fine 1st to 4th again.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I wanted get other opinion too thats why i did a duplicate question, but it also went to you. Anyways have you had this problem before? Are you a ford or lincoln tranny guy?

I responded to the other question after the first expert opened it for others, because it was a duplicate which should have been closed and I was directing you back to this page.

If you don't wish to work with me I can open this question for other experts to see if another will respond.