Lou P
Lou P, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  15+ years experience in the automotive field on all types of vehicles with access to diagrams and repair info.
27644750

I have a citroen ds3 hdi with 77000 miles on clock. I

Customer Question

Hi mike. I have a citroen ds3 hdi with 77000 miles on clock. I recently have developed a fault going into limp mode. Code was p0087. Low pressure fuel rail. Took it into citroen and they said it also had a code p2291 which i looked up and found to be low pressure at cranking. My code reader did not find this. Citroen say i need a new ecu at £900 plus vat and llabour on top. I asked them to change fuel filter and they cleared codes. Could this really be ecu needs replacing. Thanks ron
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Lou P replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am a professional here at justanswer and i noticed your question has not been answered yet. I hope i can still assist with your issue. Keep in mind i cannot see , touch, or hear what you may be experiencing but i have the automotive knowledge to assist you in the right direction. i Can tell you that dealer scan tools that pickup more codes than that of the scanners you can buy online. Your codes indicate a fuel pressure issue. What reason did they give you for needing a ecm?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi they gave no reason. Just starter monitoring or something. I only had a p0087 code with car intermitantly going into limp mode. Never had a starting problem. It seemed to all start when car was low on diesel. I looked on screen and it said no miles left in tank but it did not run out. I filled it up then the next day as i joined the motorway it went into limp mode and has done ever since
Expert:  Lou P replied 9 months ago.

Ah ok. From the sound of it , maybe the fuel you got is poor quality. Sometimes the fuel can have sediment or water in it or just be of poor quality. How much fuel did you fill ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
About £20 worth. Half a tank in my ds. I have also ran some wynns diesel cleaner through.
Expert:  Lou P replied 9 months ago.

Wynns is pretty good but I wold suggest draining and refill fuel. That would be a great start. Hope this information helps.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Would there be a filter inside the tank on the pick up pipe that would need cleaning. I heard diesel tanks can get algae in them. Dont know if thats true or not
Expert:  Lou P replied 9 months ago.

That is true , all pumps have a small screen on them. If you pulled your fuel filter and seen if the fuel came out clear or dirty that would tell you more and save time of removing the tank. But since your issue started right after a refill I would assume the fuel is poor until we get it drained and refilled.