Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Bought an slk230 1997 as a non runner, previous owner said

Customer Question

bought an slk230 1997 as a non runner, previous owner said it had been lying for about 4/5 weeks, when they went to start it, ignition lights came on but would not turn over like the immoboliser had kicked in. i bought it and called recovery,the guy put a jump pack on it but still nothing, then sort of pulled and moved the wires going to starter and the ones coming from the black box under bonnet. then the car started to turn over but would not fire up.he then recovered it to my house, the next day i put a brand new battery on car but same again would not turn over,so i moved the wires again and started to turn over,but not firing up, so i took one of the plug leads off but its not sparking, could this poss be a bad connection in the black box, thanks jim.
JA: Lots of things can cause problems with the battery. The Mercedes Mechanic will know what to do. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: i only replaced the battery because old one was low on charge so just changed it for peace of mind, hope to do a self fix.
JA: Is there anything else the Mercedes Mechanic should be aware of about your Mercedes?
Customer: once you move the wires and it turns over. you can hear fuel pump working just no spark at plugs
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mercedes Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

It would help to know which wires you are moving that gets the starter to turn. I also need to know if this has factory anti theft or not. And finally, I need to know if you have tried pouring a little fuel into the throttle body and cranking the engine and what it does, as well as if you have tested the fuel pressure or not