Richard, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  12 years as a technician at a Ford and Jaguar dealer Ford and Jaguar factory certified
10437779

02 X type Jag v6 3.0 gear shift goes into reverse lights

Customer Question

02 X type Jag v6 3.0 gear shift goes into reverse lights come on but no reverse
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: car drives perfectly all forward gears, when you position the gear shift into the reverse position you can feel it go in but no reverse and engine just revs
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Jaguar Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

This is an automatic correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

OK usually this is an internal mechanical failure specifically the reverse clutch/drum. I also see this if the fluid is changed and the wrong plug is removed. First we need to make sure the cable is not loose or binding causing reverse to not fully engage. It can also be low fluid level but since there is no dipstick this is not easily checked. Let me know.