Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Am having probleme with my car chevrolet optra 1.6 can't

Customer Question

Am having probleme with my car chevrolet optra 1.6 can't reve
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hello

I'm assuming that the rest of the question would read I can get reverse ?

in which case the first thing to do is bleed the clutch hydraulics and ensure that you replenish the all fluid in the system and get any trapped air out

I favour having a clear hose from the nipple to a jar 1/2 full of old fluid and with the nipple closed your assistant pushes the pedal up and down a few times, then holds it down whilst you then crack open the nipple and close it again whilst fluid is still flowing.

If this doesn't help then next check the gear linkage for any worn bushes or pivots as any lost motion means reduced effort at the gearbox and replace as necessary. Ideally have your assistant move the gear lever with you watching the linkage and see if you can spot where there is any excessive play or lost motion.

If its a cable type linkage check along the cable lengths for any damage or signs of heavy wear / fretting, if you find any replace the cable. There may be some adjustment on the cable tension at the gearbox end (depending on the year) and the cable should be tensioned so there is a minimum of slack but not so its taught

Then check gearbox oil levels and if its not been changed in the last 20K miles then drain it off and fill with fresh. I can strongly recommend the use of Castrol Syntrans 75W90 (was called SMX-S) as I've known it help with shift issues on many manual gearboxes

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When i start the car and try to accelerate, the car engine switches off. There has to be a little of bit pressure on the clutch for the engine to keep running otherwise if l add more pressure then the car slacks and cuts off.
Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hello

this sounds like there may be a fault with the clutch switch and the idle speed control

as if its very easy to stall then I'd check that the throttle closed point is set correctly

is the car a 2001?

Expert:  Matt replied 9 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you