Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

Randy i got a 98 Rav4 and since two weeks ago under load is

Customer Question

Hi Randy i got a 98 Rav4 and since two weeks ago under load is start misfiring when accelerate, but this up to around 3000rpm, after this works like a charm....
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: doesn't matter the gear i am in, when i accelerate sudden is misfiring until reach 3000rpm or more...after this is fire..i could say is very powerful after 3000rpm...i changed the timing belt around 30k ago
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Toyota Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $20 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i used 4 different types of petrol all up to the end of the tank to eliminate the problem with bad fuel...doesn't matter is cold engine or hot....when i accelerate from 1500-2000rpm in any gear and specially when climbing a hill or something where require more power, is misfiring very badly and loud enough until reach around 3000rpm...
Expert:  Jeromy Madison replied 1 year ago.

Hello. When was the last time the spark plugs were changed?

Have you hooked it up to a scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello. i changed the spark plugs just before changing the oil.i used the correct type for it.i didn't used any scan tool as i choose not to pay a garage to scan it but first to ask a ''toyota specialist''....i had a bad experience last year with this site with mechanics guessing about the problem on my money so if you know the solution please tell me.if not,please let someone else.thanks.

I understand your skepticism but you need to understand that we can not touch or see your vehicle and what you are describing falls into a lot of areas that could be wrong.

That being said, a low rpm misfire is most likely in the ignition system and that is the reason for my first questions.

The reason for a scan tool is because toyota is very good about misfire data and that is very helpful in finding out which cylinder or cylinders are misfiring.

Do you know which cylinders are misfiring?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No..i dont..is not musfiring at idle fir example..or if i take it very slow..but is misfiring even on straight road when put the pedal down and this up to 3k rpm.when changing gears as well untill reach 3k rpm...today, on cold engine was working perfect with no misfiring and linear power 3 miles(this is what i used it in the morning anyway so as i left it is working perfect now)....i am thinking to buy a denso intelligent scanner as i intend to keep this car..what you think about that scanner?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Apologise for my spelling. .i got thick fingers..:))