rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

WE occasionally have trouble keeping the engine running

Customer Question

WE occasionally have trouble keeping the engine running after a cold engine start of our 2007 (late 2006) ford focus 2 liter engine. Once warm, the car runs fine.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: There are no other problems.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Ford Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 10 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

The coolant temp sensor may be the problem not allowing a rich enough mixture for a cold engine. This can be checked with a scan tool on a cold start or a lab scope for a better reading of it. See attachment.

Thanks, Ron