Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a Lotus Elan M100 S2 Turbo which was running

Customer Question

I have a Lotus Elan M100 S2 Turbo which was running brilliantly until blowing the head gasket. A mechanic friend who owns a similar car and his own garage replaced the head gasket & cambelt. Since the work was completed we have had the engine management light on. Fault codes pointed to Lambda sensor which was replaced with no effective change. Then we got a high voltage on throttle sensor but still no change. Whilst on test drive the car engine management system appears to shut down when approaching 1 bar turbo pressure then the car misfires. Also since the head gasket renewal the car is difficult to start from cold. I have to keep going back to it every 10 minutes and then it starts at about the fourth attempt.
Submitted: 10 months ago via AskTheMechanic.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

With the different sensor issues setting here and the running issues all occuring after the repairs were done I have seen before where shorted or damaged wiring can cause this fault here needing repaired or replaced for this issue.I would start with having the wiring checked over for any wiring issues and if any wiring issues are found the wiring issues will need corrected to resolve this fault here.If this has already been checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Pete, thanks for picking up my question. I can confirm the wiring is ok, with regards ***** ***** high voltage fault code we will try the throttle body from a similar car over the next couple of days. During the head works we also fitted a new pre catalytic converter as the emissions were high during the MOT. This did solve the emissions issue. We did a test yesterday and the emissions have risen which we think would indicate a management problem. Will keep you up to date with progress. RegardsKeith
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Your welcome,let me know how this turns out here and if you need anything else.Feel free to rate my help here if you like as this is how I receive cedit for my time.

Thanks Pete