Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

My name is ***** ***** my problem relates to a 2004 TD4

Customer Question

My name is ***** ***** my problem relates to a 2004 TD4 Freelander. Car was loosing lots of oil thro turbo but also had an engine rattle which comes and goes at around 2000rpm . Changed Turbo, PCV and all charge hoses. Car now in better shape but noise continues. When noise happens I see some fluctuation of revs. I am thinking could be cam chain tensioner but am really at a loss assistance appreciated ***** *****.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have isolated all Aux belts and crank pulley seems firm and solid.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — UK Auto Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $30 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This can be due to a faulty or weak timing chain tensioner causing the rattle noise here or slack in the chain itself in some cases.I have also had issues on some models with valve lifters/lash adjusters failing causing this as well.These will have to be inspected further to locate which component is the cause here and from there the component repaired or replaced.This may require components to be taken apart on the engine to locate and repair this fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete