sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a mercedes c180 2012 model, and the engine diagnose

Customer Question

I have a mercedes c180 2012 model, and the engine diagnose lamp is periodic on. The first time the garage could read the problem, but could find no problems to solve. So they just stoppes the lamp and that was that. Afterwards, the lamp is on periodicly. Is that normal, and will the lamp normally go out after a number of starts, if there are no further failures?
Regards
Schack
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It isn't normal for the engine light to come on sometimes. The engine light comes on when the engine controller sees a failure in a component or system and sets a fault code.

There are dozens of things that will turn the engine light on ranging from spark plugs, fuel injectors, coils, any sensor on the engine or transmission, wiring, it could be an evaporative emissions issue including a loose or failed gas cap; literally any failure in the powertrain will turn the engine light on.

The reason the light goes back off is because the problem is intermittent. If it sees the problem go away, usually for three good trips, then the engine light will turn off.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Good, it was especially the point with 3 good trips I find usefull.

Great!