Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a smax 07 2l tdci and I'm having intermittent

Customer Question

Hi I have a smax 07 2l tdci and I'm having intermittent starting issues, seems to be better when cold but after short journeys when trying to restart the engine just keeps turning over to the point when all the dials start to flicker. I then leave a few minutes and try again and eventually it will start, sometimes to then cut out again, all fine when running???
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

From what you have described here this sounds like a fault with the engine flooding out with fuel.This will cause a hard start when warm but not when cold like you see here.

I have seen issues with leaking fuel pressure regulator,leaking fuel injectors bleeding down fuel pressure into the engine or through the return side as well as weak check valves in the fuel pump causing fuel pressure bleed down issues.

The fuel system will need to be tested here to locate the source of the fault and once this has been done then it will need repaired to correct this issue here.In some cases this can be a fault with the engine coolant temp sensor sending an incorrect engine coolant temp signal to the computer causing this fault as well here.I would have the coolant temp sensor signal checked for any issues.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete