Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Mazda MX5 park lights wont turn off. Just googled and I see

Customer Question

Customer: Hi ***** park lights wont turn off. Just googled and I see someone two years ago posted similar question. Nothing changed...in my car either
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I did leave door open for a while last night. Not long enough for battery to die. Started without problem this am funny thing is I can lock it. Normally when lights on car wont lock
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Mazda Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Most of these models use a relay called a TNS relay and if this relay is shorting out internally this will leave the park lights on like this here and in some cases can cause other electrical issues as well.With what you have described here this sounds like the cause needing replaced.If you can post the year of your model here this will help.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
MX5 2006
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what does this mean in your response on this " described here this sounds like the cause needing replaced"
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,this model year does use the TNS relay to control these lights.The relay can fail and stick on causing issues like this here.With the problem that is occuring here it sounds like this relay needs replaced is what I meant above.

This relay should be located in the under hood fuse panel as seen here https://www.dropbox.com/s/779rv6q2elf4ax8/tns-01-25.gif?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Your app does take enough digits to fit my number +27 21(###) ###-####
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Does the link not come up when you click on it to see the fuse panel and relay location?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It does but geared for numbers in the States? I'm in South Africa. It does not have enough spaces to fit my contact number
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

O.k.,unfortunately I am unable to place a call to you myself since I am in the US.If you want I can open your question for someone else here to see if anyone else can take the call on this just let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will check if this is the problem and carry on with question tomorrow if notthanks
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Your welcome.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete