sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a lexus ls400 1995 that is cranking but not starting

Customer Question

I have a lexus ls400 1995 that is cranking but not starting upI have managed to pull the code its is 1 flash pause 2 flashes ...fault codes 12 i presumeIf this the crank position sensor can i gain access from the top of the car without jacking the car upPlease advise any assitance would be apprciatedMany thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

This code could be an issue either with the crank sensor or one of the cam sensors. It may be one of the sensors themselves or possibly a cam timing issue. The crank sensor is mounted under the crank damper area and accessed from underneath.

Does the engine crank at a normal speed or does it seem faster or more free than normal?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
HiMany thanks foe the reply . The car cranks at normal speed doesnt spin fast , no more free than normalThnaksT

Do you have access to a scan tool to monitor data?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
HiIve already pulled the fault code by doing the paper clip method and check engine light . The code is 1 flash pause then 2 flashes .....code 12I think its means no rpm signal ...coudl this be the crank shaft sensor ?Thanks

Yes, the problem could be the crank sensor but it could also be one of the cam sensors, wiring to any of the components or improper cam timing.

I assume no scan tool is available?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
HiThe car is 21 years old and no isnt hasnt got a scan not obd 2 , I had to use the paper clip method and check engine light to get the code readthanks

I do understand that you used a paperclip to read fault codes but was trying to determine if you had a scan tool that could monitor the cam and crank signals. The correct first step in diagnosis is to see what sensor isn't producing a signal. Otherwise you can test the pullup voltage, reference voltage and ground at each sensor and then try backprobing each of the signal wires with a digital voltmeter to see if there is a toggling voltage signal when the engine is turned by hand. A labscope or scan tool would be needed to verify for certain if a correct square wave signal is being generated.