gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

I have no interior lights on my 2009 Passat, am I not

Customer Question

Customer: Hi there David, I have no interior lights on my 2009 Passat, am I not finding a 3rd fusebox, got the one under the bonnet plus the one in end of dash panel inside drivers door, but nothing in passenger side end panel. thanks ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hi there David, I have no interior lights on my 2009 Passat, am I not finding a 3rd fusebox, got the one under the bonnet plus the one in end of dash panel inside drivers door, but nothing in passenger side end panel.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — VW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 10 months ago.

You are just talking about the interior illumination of switches, gauges, radio, etc? Did this happen suddenly? And do other functions like the dome lights work?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No just the interior lights in the car ceiling front & rear, glove box, boot & sun visor lights & gauges, radio, switches & dash are OK..
It happened when I was reaching the bulb in the glove compartment all was fine before, so I feel its a fuse but I can't find a blown one, all the fuses under the bonnet and on drivers side of the dash are fine, are there some more elsewhere or may this have generated a canbus fault code that needs resetting?

Did you fix the issue with the glovebox light? all of these are powered by the same power supply relay in the e-box, so if one of them is out it may have caused this circuit to store a fault. Typically once you key off and on again, if the circuit is OK it will work again.

The relay is J689, location B4 in the relay panel under the dash- there is a large relay on each side, and two rows of smaller relays, this is the one on the bottom of the left row. You can try swapping relays with another position if you suspect the relay is bad. But usually it is due to a resistance value issue stored in the module.