Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, Tech Trainer
Experience:  A.S.E. Master Technician, Advanced Level, Emissions - Asian, Domestic, & European
19298667

Have 2003 micra, front and rear wipers operate without being

Customer Question

Have 2003 micra, front and rear wipers operate without being switched on, will stop working when indicators are used or when drivers door is opened. Also rear door is not opening when button is pressed but when you disconnect or reconnect switch door will open. Had this problem previously and was rectified by sealing washer pump connector , now when I disconnect washer pump fault is still there.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Inspect the wiring leading from the wiper and turn signal switch at the column and any connections at the steering column or under the dash area for any damage to the wiring or corrosion or damage to the wiring connections causing this fault here.If a fault is found with any of the wiring or connections this will need to be repaired to correct this fault.If this is all found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Sorry but I was really looking for advice from Nissan technician about the specific model. Thanks for replying but we had already checked for the obvious. I am rather annoyed at being charged for this as I understood a Nissan technician would answer
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

No problem.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Expert:  Juan Crespo replied 10 months ago.

Hi there. Perhaps I can help...

The reason why this is happening is because of a faulty washer pump sending a false signal to the body control module. The pump is on the washer reservoir located behind the black plastic driver's side wheel arch, inside the front bumper. To get to it, you have to undo the two 10mm bolts on the underside of the bumper; then remove a couple of Phillips screws up around the edge of the wheel arch; then peel the wheel arch black plastic into the wheel area to get access to the reservoir and pump. Pull out the pump to remove it from the reservoir. Reverse steps to install new pump.

Best Regards.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
If you read my post it states that this has been checked already, i tried this service as it stated my question would be answered by a Nissan technician, twice it has not and I think it is a complete waste of money

I'm sorry you feel that way. I am indeed a retired Nissan technician and verified site expert.

I apologize for not paying more attention to your post - we've replaced so many faulty washer pumps that it was an automatic response on my part.

Since both wipers and locks are controlled by the BCM, then my advise would be to plug in a Consult scan tool to communicate with the BCM and see what is causing it to do what it's doing - if need be, I would gladly guide you in using the Consult or similar scan tool to perform the diagnostic procedure.

Best Regards.