Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have a Dodge Caliber 2.0 CRD 56 plate in the UK. I have a

Customer Question

I have a Dodge Caliber 2.0 CRD 56 plate in the UK. I have a problem that has been hard to get to the bottom of. I have changed the crankshaft position sensor after it was running the car in limp mode and high idle rate.. After a few weeks I changed the starter motor as the problems with the sensor previously made it hard to start. I do still have a fault showing the throttle body is dodgy and a glow plug which I will get around to but I have an intermittent problem with starting or enough power to get to the starter motor to fire, it is cranking as it makes that horrid whining sound. If I leave the car after a non-start and come back it then starts first time. It always starts first thing in the morning after sitting all night. Any ideas?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Is it just making a loud noise when cranking over or is it dragging/cranking very slowly?

Did you check the flywheel teeth when you pulled the old starter before installing the new one to see if there was any damage to them?

Have you tested voltage at the starter when cranking to see if there is a low voltage condition that exists

Please remember that I am not there to test your vehicle and therefore rely on you to provide as much detail as possible and may need to ask for more information or clarification at times

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It cannot be the flywheel as the car sometimes starts after I have left the car overnight or after a few hours and not moved it, therefore the flywheel would be in the same position. I am guessing there is low voltage to the starter when I have the loud whirring sound as it is not firing. I haven't had the opportunity to test that theory as I am not usually at the garage when it happens and after the car is jumped, it will start for the rest of the day. But there is definitely enough voltage when it works properly.The noise is loud and not dragging at all....
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, if you can, get me the vin number for the vehicle so that I can pull up the wiring schematics for the starting system on this vehicle

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1b3h3c8a97d572827
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was just checking if you managed to look at the schematics for me?Thanks....
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Sorry for the delay. I am not able to pull the schematics for some reason. I can pull up some things for this vehicle by the vin number, but no wiring diagrams at all. I will opt out and see if another expert can help