Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

My names we have a 2001 sprinter which wont start very well

Customer Question

Customer: hi my names dave we have a 2001 sprinter which wont start very well in the cold we have changed heater plugs and also changed the turbo, wants it starts its normally ok for the day, to get the vehicle to start we have to put a jump battery on to make the engine turn over really fast then eventually the vehicle will start ? any ideas thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the vehicle wont start on a morning wants running seems ok we have changed heater plugs
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $24) to post your type of question to Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

What usually causes this here is a lack of fuel to the injection pump or fuel injectors.On a cold start or first start after it has sat awhile the engine needs max fuel to start.If there is any kind of leak or even fuel seep on any of the fuel lines or fuel components this will cause this issue here and the leaks will need repaired.This needs checked.

If there is an issue with a restricted fuel filter this will need replaced to correct this here.This should be done every 10,000 miles/km in most cases

If there is an issue with a low pressure fuel pump in or at the fuel tank this can cause this as well as some of these models have a low pressure pump.

If there is no low pressure pump and the filter is o.k. and no fuel leaks then I suspect the fuel injection pump may be at fault here needing replaced.

The fuel system does need to be tested/checked further to pinpoint and repair the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete