Chris (aka-Moose), Car Enthusiast
Experience:  NA
2499435

I actually drive a 2010 Ford Focus RS but it has a Volvo

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, I actually drive a 2010 Ford Focus RS but it has a Volvo engine
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: there is a strange rattling noise under acceleration Ford mechanics cannot determine the source of it
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Volvo Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The engine is 2,5turbo - it is a Volvo engine
The noise is not always present. Usually I hear a strange resonating noise when I start the engine (it works at 1,500RPMs for the first 15-30secs) Then when idle it sound normally. Under heavy acceleration from 1,800RPMs up there is this strange rattling/marbles-in-a-can noise. I thought it was the recirc valve on the turbo - changed it and it didn't help. I also remove the catalytic converter as I though it might rattle but it was not that. As Ford has little knowledge of this exact engine, do you possibly know what it might be?
Expert:  Chris (aka-Moose) replied 10 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). No experts here are Just Answer employees, we do not get a paycheck or benefits from JA. We are independent contractors, only paid when you rate our answer.

You said it has a Volvo engine, but you said you tool it to the Ford dealer?

Is this a European vehicle, I ask because this setup is not offered in the US.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Well it is a european vehicle. it has a 2.5 litre, 5 cylinder turbo Volvo engine. I guess this engine is also present in US cars. On my car it has 224kW but as far as I know whole equipment is standard Volvo. This engine with very similiar setup was on the Volvo S60 R back in 2002 I guess. I am just curious whether you at Volvo had any issues with 2.5 turbo engines rattling under acceleration? Can it be the wastegate on the turbo?

I need to opt out. My American repair guides have nothing on the RS or this engine in a Focus.