sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

, I have an issue with Nissan Qashqai brake lights.

Customer Question

Customer: Hi,
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have an issue with Nissan Qashqai brake lights. They are not working when I have my headlights on. They work fine when i dont have the headlights on. So im ok driving in the day but not at night
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to UK Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The issue is lack of proper ground available to the bulbs. There is enough ground to support the brake or park lamp filaments singly but not together, this is a common symptom of a poor ground.

The issue could be wiring or it could be an issue within the lamp housing circuit boards. What should be done is use an incandescent test light to first ensure that power is still present at the lamp housing connector on the brake lamp circuit when pressing the pedal with the lights on.

If ok then ground should be checked, or a redundant ground can be used for testing.

If power is present and a redundant ground doesn't change anything then the issue is in the lamp housings. If adding in another ground does help then you have a ground wiring issue.