sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have problem with my Mercedes e55 amg 04 (remaped in 2012)

Customer Question

Hi I have problem with my Mercedes e55 amg 04 (remaped in 2012) .i have problem with o2 sensors.the story start around month ago when I get a check engine light on dash .and error p2082 G3.3 short circuit o2 sensor left primary /upstream.few days after my catalyst on left get cracked ,we fixed (welded) but still light was coming back ,changed for new o2 sensor (bosh) still light .car was vibrating big time around 1200-2200 rpm because a bed engine mounds I get to Mercedes independent specialist to fix it .and light on dash was cause by secondary air pump relay.pick up a car o done 4miles car start shaking,overfuel,black smoke etc get back to them on this some side just before primary sensor my manifold crack ,I replaced deleted error and fuel adaptation food for 8 miles and error coming back but no light on .they swap sensor from left to right and error gone for a few miles good out loom back and star diag didNtsee sensors ??
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds like you still have an oxygen sensor related issue. If an inaccurate upstream sensor reports that the engine i running lean when it isn't then fuel will be added and that can make it run rich enough to smoke as you had. The problem could be wiring but is more likely to be caused by the aftermarket oxygen sensor.

If you disconnect the replacement sensor, clear fuel adaptives with a scan tool or a battery disconnect and then drive the car how does it run?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi I know I still have a upstream oxygen problem,I have a both o2 sensors oem Mercedes parts .after fuel adaptation car is run smoothly,but not always lay time was fine for 18 miles and staright start overfuel on tragic lights ,sometimes is progressive worst,or not working at all smoth.and sometimes when u plug to scanning system doesn't see sensors at all or they looks like dead .mhow I can check a cables one by one ?i had problem with engine mounts and my catalystic and and manifold get crack (part replaced ) ..if that can cause a wiring problem , or maybe ecu ? My car was remaped in 2012 is weird two new sensors and still that game ....regards

You said the sensor that was replaced was replaced with an aftermarket Bosch sensor.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
after I exchange again for org Mercedes oem and still this soem problem,any ide how to start diagnose it

What P codes are currently setting?

Can I get the VIN and the part number of the sensors used?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I think a part is a0015408617 not sure because is in Mechanik garage , vin wdb2110762a644972 and picture attached

Possible causes for this code setting are the sensor itself, wiring and connections, and the engine controller. It's not likely to be the engine controller but possible.

Has the wiring not been tested?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Wiring gone be tested today ,what about sometimes star diagnostic see sensors ,sometimes not or they are look like no active ? Still u will sugest a wiring problem or ecu ?

The possible causes for this are wiring, the sensor and ECM. If there is a wiring issue then there isn't going to be a usable sensor signal which may be what you are describing. A scan tool will always see the voltage on the signal wire no matter what but it may not be a usable signal.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
simple test wire buy wire need to be done or what u can recommend

I'm not sure what you're asking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How to diagnose it

The sensor wiring needs to be tested for high resistance/open circuits, preferably with a load test, and the circuits need to be checked for a short to power or ground.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi today I get message from my garage and car doesn't want to start at all ...so it's doesn't looks like a sensors when the engine is cold they go to open loop....any idea

A no start condition won't be related to the oxygen sensor issue.

What happens when they try to start it?

They've attempted to diagnose the problem but are unable?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi can't get it sorted ,we check almost all possible thinks we check fuel pressure is fine ,smoke test do leaks and no leaks ,map sensor reading correctly car is cranks and sound like it catching but after few turns u can only smell raw fuell ....2morrow I will take a ecu to check by specialist company any other thinks to check ,getting desperate slowly with this issue ...

Is it missing spark then?