Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 56 Peugeot 807 2 hdi,the other morning in the

Customer Question

Customer: Hi,i have a 56 Peugeot 807 2 hdi,the other morning in the frost,the starter was very sluggish and the engine wouldn't fire up,the starter died and affected the dash and the hazard lights,then there was a pop like a fuse blowing and now there is no power at all,not even the battery light when you turn the key,i charged the battery yesterday,which was pretty drained,but it's holding the charge well,i've replaced all of the maxi fuses apart from the 2 30 amp ones,and also taken out the bsi fuse and put it back to try and reset it,i know the starter needs replacing,but I need to get the electrics up and running,have tried to call out several electricians,but as you can imagine with the weather,they are like gold dust at the minute,pretty much at a loss what to do now,thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: the starter is sluggish upon first start of the day,or when it's been left,but the other morning while trying to start it,the electrics went dead and nothing at all works,no battery light when you turn the ignition on,absolutely nothing electrical works
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $30) to post your type of question to UK Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure if you have a solution to the problem
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hello

I'd 1st check the tightness and cleanliness off the main battery connections and that of the main earth connections, there must be no corrosion on anything and all must be properly tight so they cannot be moved by hand

then there may be some high power fuses directly on the battery connectors these are rated at about 80 and 40 amp and are the primary fuses for the car so check these are in good condition

also follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

And one last thing is – how old is the battery? – As even good quality ones need replacing every 5 years and faulty battery just won’t hold a charge

Expert:  Matt replied 10 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you