Nathan B
Nathan B, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  NVQ3 Motor Vehicle mechanics, with 20+ yrs experience and 4 years running my own garage.
27720961

I have a 2007 Transit Van motorhome by Talvor and it won't

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2007 Transit Van motorhome by Talvor and it won't turn over. I have full lights on dash and headlights but no cranking whatsoever. batterys under drivers seat are fully charged as is house battery. please help
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Insert key to ignition switch, turn key and nothing. No engine cranking over, but all dash lights are normal. Is there a kill switch that has self activated perhaps.Patrick
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to UK Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: no need answer now if you know the answer Neil
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Nathan B replied 10 months ago.

Hi there.

Welcome to ja.com.

This sounds again like a fault I encountered a few days ago with another transit.

This could be one of a couple of faults.

As you say that the batteries under the seat are both good and charged that eliminates my first fault.

OK. As I don't know your level of expertise I will try and make it simple.

The first fault it could be is an earth fault to the starter motor. With a multimeter check the voltage across the starter with the red probe on the main positive on the starter and the black probe on the body of the engine. This should read 12 volts. If it is less then this points to the earth on the starter and what usually needs to be done is undo it, clean it up and refit it and then check it again. If All is good try and start it and it should be OK.

Another thing to check is the leads to the starter itself and also the connections. What would be a good idea is if you cleaned these as well as these can also corrode. But when removing the main power from the starter you will have to remove the leads oft of the battery so as not to cause a spark if it touches the engine.

If these faults have been eliminated then one other fault could be the ignition lock itself as they do sometimes fail but this is very rare.

One other thing it could be the starter itself could be jammed. They used to suffer with this fault a lot as the clutch dust gets into the starter and clogs it up making it jam but they usually give a bit of trouble first before this happens.

I would always check the earth's first and make sure they are all good and clean before looking at the starter etc.

I hope this had helped you and if you require further assistance please don't hesitate to ask.

Please rate my answer as this is how I get paid.

Thanks in advance