Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

I have a 2.0L 2002 volkswagen passat. I am based in Ireland.

Customer Question

I have a 2.0L 2002 volkswagen passat. I am based in Ireland. The electric engine fan is running all the time. It started running lately all the time and it burnt out. I replaced it and when I reconnected it it again it is still running all the time. I have asked my mechanic to check temp sensor but the sensors are working correctly. I have owned the car since new and I cannot actually ever remember hearing the fan working before now. I have at the moment had to unplug the fan as it runs constantly when the car is running and it will just burn out again. The car is not over heating and the temp never goes above 90 degrees C even after a lot of driving. The fan that runs of the engine is working correctly. The car does not have air conditioning
Category: UK Car
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

There are a couple causes of this that I commonly see. The first would be the fan temp switch on the bottom of the radiator, and the second is the cooling fan control module. Is yours a turbo model? Being in the US, I don't have access to repair data for your car specifically.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My car is a 2.0L petrol. It is not a turbo engine.

Ok. I would first suspect the coolant sensor at the bottom of the radiator. There are 2 sensors and the one at the bottom of the radiator is the one to address. Has that been replaced? Are there any codes present?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The coolant sensor has been replaced twice and that didn't make any difference. What do you mean "are there any codes present?"

trouble codes.. You would need a scan tool to detect them. Also, which coolant sensor was replaced?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The sensor under the radiator was replaced. "Trouble codes" are you talking about connecting the car to a diagnostic computer. I have done that and there isn't any error codes coming up

Ok. In that case, the problem is likely the cooling fan control module. Has that been checked?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
where is this in the car?

On the US model, it is located on the driver side under the frame rail next to the blue vacuum reservoir.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok. What do I need to check? do I need to replace it to see if it is faulty?

I am going to open this question to the other experts. Being in the states, I have absolutely no information on your specific vehicle and I don't want to speculate and potentially cost you money on something that isn't necessary. If I knew that it was the same as our 2.8, then I would feel more comfortable.

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail. Do not rate yet, just reply. Put yourself in my shoes, I can not see, smell, hear, feel or touch your car, nor do I know any history on it. So take into consideration I am doing my best based on what you tell me. Also understand fixing cars often requires sophisticated tools, that you may not own. So even if you can not do what is outlined in my answer, that does not mean my answer is wrong deserving to be rated negative.

i do need more information. in the spare tire area is a sticker 3x5 in size . this sticker has option codes can you take a pic of that and post it here please to get the correct factory information to assist. thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
see attached picture
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 year ago.

Ok let me check on this. Thanks for the pic

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
are you going to respond to my problem?