Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

Can you please confirm how you reprogramme the central

Customer Question

Hi there
Can you please confirm how you reprogramme the central locking a 64 plate 2015 X-Trail as both plip keys have stopped working. I have tried turning the ignition off and on 6 times but think this relates to older models as I cannot get it to go into reprogramme mode.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If both flip keys quit working at the same time most likely there is an internal electrical fault with the control unit/ecu for the power locks.In some cases this is the remote control door lock receiver or another ecu at fault internally needing replaced then programmed.I would start with having the fault codes checked to see what codes are set for this model here and if any codes are set those codes will need diagnosed to locate and repair this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi PeteThanks for your reply. The car is just less than 11 months old and the first key worked for around 5-6 months before not responding and now the second one has just failed after a similar length of time. The car has done less than 6K miles so I do not think it is a battery issue as they have had little use. The car will need it's first service late Feb so I will have to wait until I take it in.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

It is odd for both of these to fail like this so short after the vehicle was built.This doesnt sound like a program or relearn issue here but more like a fault with the receiver or ecu that receives the signal from the remotes/fobs themselves.You can try to hold the lock and unlock down on the key remote standing next to the vehicle to see if this relearns the remote as this will on some models.

Other then this you will need to have the fault codes checked with a scan tool or computer that plugs into your vehicle to see what codes are set and if any are set they will need diagnosed to locate and repair the fault here.If no codes are set on a newer model like this here on most models this may require the use of a dealers scan tool or computer to reprogram the remotes.

Thanks Pete