Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

The problem: Driving uphill a couple of days ago with many

Customer Question

Hello George.
The problem:
Driving uphill a couple of days ago with many right and left curves. On several curves the vehicle simply stalled and died. Immediately afterwards switched on. As this is certainly a matter of security it must be attended immediately.
What has been done:
Replaced MAP sensor.
What has been discovered during checkup:
A hiss sound coming from the pcv hose (opposite side of the valve).
When revving the car in neutral and leaving the accelerator while turning steering wheel the RPM drop momentarily to 300 (very low). Like there is a serious drop of power.
Vehicle: 2006 3,5l Buick rendezvous.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If you have a hissing sound near or at the PCV itself check for any vacuum leaks on the engine that need to be repaired.I have seen issues with a vacuum leak that can cause the engine to computer to try and compensate for it and cause an issue like this here.If the leak was already found and repaired let me know.

If the check engine light has come on with this fault here the fault codes need checked using a scan tool that will plug in and communicate with all computers to see what codes are set.Once this is done any codes set will need diagnosed and repaired to correct this issue.

One common component I have seen cause an issue like this here is the crank position sensor itself.If it is losing its signal intermittently the fault here will occur like this and can be a brief stall out issue.If this has not been replaced this may be the cause needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi PeteNobody answered my question, so thank you for responding.I Checked the PCV today and tightened all connections. Hard to hear a vacuum leak, no strong hissing sound , there is ambient noise from the engine. But tightened the parts that connect from the valve.
No Fault codes (check engine doesn't turn on)
As I checked the vehicle today I noticed that the vehicle loses power when turning the steering wheel.
If I accelerate (in neutral of course) to 3000rpm and then leave the accelerator at once and turn the steering wheel quickly all the way to the right or left the car stalls.
I noticed that there is a momentarily drop in rpm to 250-300, if at this moment if I let go of the steering wheel it revs back up to normal ~680-720rpm regaining power and does not stall.
It seems like the vehicle doesn't calculate the load quickly enough.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Looking at the info on this model here your vehicle doesnt use a steering position sensor instead it has a steering control valve in the power steering pump itself.This valve can stick due to being dirty needing cleaned or needing replaced and can cause low or excess power steering pressure in return causing an extra load on the engine which can cause the idle drop and stall out issue here.I have seen this valve fail needing cleaned or replaced before for a fault similar to this here.If this has not been checked into this needs done.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3o1ek2tz4c61pkx/valve-01-11.gif?dl=0

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
PeteThank you.
I will need you to give me a clearer picture where this part is located on the vehicle.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

This is located on the power steering pump itself where the pressure line threads into it.It should be the part that the line threads into.Once the line is removed it can be removed.Below is a picture of the pump itself being removed from the engine.You may not have to remove the pump if you can access it without removing the pump.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cj0mzd07cuziwby/ps-01-11.gif?dl=0

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.Is this for sure the next check on the checklist?
It seems I need to take apart quite a few parts in order to access this location.
Just want to be sure before I begin taking everything apart.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Even if the check engine light isnt coming on I would still have the codes checked to see what codes are set.This needs done with a scan tool that will plug into your vehicle and can read all computers to see if any codes are set in any of the computers.In some cases codes can set but not turn on a light to let you know and a code set will help locate if this is the cause for sure here.

With there being no steering sensor and with what you have occuring here this sounds like the cause here.There is a chance this is the engine computer itself at fault needing replaced instead but I would check and clean this valve to see if this resolves the fault here first.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK will check this valve
Shall update once done.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good.Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still trying to figure out how to release the bolt to get to the valve without taking the whole pump apart of the vehicle.
Extremely difficult to access.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Usually the pump may need removed somewhat to access this here.In some cases you can remove the power steering pump pulley to better access any bolts or this line/fitting to then remove it and clean or replace it.This will require a power steering pump pulley puller and installer which in allot of cases you can rent from a local parts store.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete
Yesterday I took the pump out.
The valve was clean and unclogged, but cleaned it anyway.
I flushed the system as well.
The situation has not changed.
I noticed that the "steering-stall" is just a symptom - I noticed that if I press the accelerator (in neutral) to 3500rpm, and then let go the rpm drops to 300 and then climbs up to 680. When it drops to 300 I notice that there is a drop in power (battery as well). The small moment (from 300 - 680) takes maybe half a second, but if I turn the steering wheel the vehicle will stall (not enough power). Like for a brief moment there is no fuel or air?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,with this new description you have here one of the biggest causes for this fault is carbon build up in the throttle body bore.The bore and bore plate will develop carbon on them and then when you release the throttle when the throttle plate closes it stays open just a slight amount to allow air in for proper idle or decel speeds.When there is a slight amount of carbon build up in the bore this causes a slight restriction with this air flow coming into the engine.

If you have not cleaned the throttle body bore and bore plate this needs done.Use a shop rag with some carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner sprayed on it to then wipe out the throttle body bore and bore plate.When this is done then turn on the key for 1 minute then off for one minute then on again for one minute then off then start the engine and let idle for a minute and then turn off for a minute then restart and see if it operates properly then.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi PeteI haven't had the chance yet to continue working as I have fell very ill lately.
Hopefully within a few days after my recover I shall notify our status.Thank you
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

No problem.I hope you get well soon.Reply when your ready and there is no hurry.

Thanks Pete