sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I'm struggling with the key re programming process

Customer Question

Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Key fobs can be programmed without a scan tool but I'm unaware of a customer programming method for a transponder key. What is the procedure that you have tried and where did you find it?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There's loads that say this...
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Online

That's to program a key fob. Are you trying to program a key as indicated in your previous post, or are you trying to program a fob?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm trying to program the key, the battery in the key was failing but still working, I changed the battery and now does not open the doors but does start car etc
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

A key or fob would never need reprogramming unless it's erased with a scan tool.

If it's a keyless starting system fob with a transponder it would require programming at a dealer in any event, but as I mentioned they don't lose programming and the fact that the engine still starts proves it hasn't lost programming. If the RKE portion has failed and the battery has been replaced then the key will need to be replaced.