Nathan B
Nathan B, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  NVQ3 Motor Vehicle mechanics, with 20+ yrs experience and 4 years running my own garage.
27720961

I have an x trail 55 plate 2.2 DCI just brought a week ago

Customer Question

I have an x trail 55 plate 2.2 DCI just brought a week ago ran fine until this morning when I heard a subtle but high pitched whistle under the hood, at speeds around 30 upwards. A concern of mine is wheather or not the vecicle is safe to drive.would be grateful for any advice on this.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Nathan B replied 11 months ago.

Hi Michelle

Welcome to ja.come.

I hope I can help you today.

So I can help you better I just need to ask a couple of questions.

1. Did the whistle start All of a sudden and does it get higher with the revs?

2. Is the vehicle down on power at all?

3. Are there any lights on on the dashboard since this started?

Thanks in advance

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
it did just start and it's high pitched with revs and there us a light on the dash airbag light comes on stays on but flashes.

Hi again.

From what you have said it could be one of a couple of things. Firstly and more likely is that one of your rubber turbo pipes has either come adrift or split. If you open the binder and check all the pipes going to your turbo and intercooler for anything visible. You may need someone to rev the engine while you check this. Once the pipe is found it can be replaced or fastened up.

The other fault that it could be is the turbo itself. This can be checked by removing the pipe from the intake side of the turbo, then you can check the movement of the shaft with your fingers. There should be very slight movement but too much could mean that the fins are hitting the side of the inside of the turbo housing and making the noise. If this is the case then the cause will have to be determined but is most likely oil starvation of the turbo which will have to be rectified before you replace the turbo. This though can be a costly fix.

On to your air bag light. For this you will have to get the car put on a diagnostic computer to get the codes read and then you can get the fault sorted from there.

I hope i have helped you.

Please rate my answer as this is how i get paid.

Thanks in advance