Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

My name is ***** ***** and i have intermittent reverse on a

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** ***** and i have intermittent reverse on a 1990 ls400 and code42 on the diagnostic is speed sensor 1connected to this incidently if i dissconnect speed sensor 2 reverse is fine
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i have intermittent reverse on a 1990 ls400 and code42 on the diagnostic is speed sensor 1connected to this incidently if i dissconnect speed sensor 2 reverse is fine
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Lexus Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: k
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

If your speed sensor is sending a false vehicle speed signal this issue can occur.It can cause the computer to think that it is moving when it isnt and may disable reverse to prevent damage to the transmission as it thinks the vehicle may be moving in a forward gear.Check the speed sensor electrical connection and wiring for any issues and if this is found to be o.k. I suspect the speed sensor itself will need replaced to correct this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello I've checked the wiring from the speed sensor to the ecu and also fitted another speed sensor but still no joy it still has intermittent reverse with speed sensor 2 connected must be an electrical fault somewhere someone else has told me to check the throttle position sensor for voltage between the idl and ground failing that I was gonna put a relay in the speed sensor circuit to knock it out when I select reverse
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately my info is limited on this model here.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete