Robert
Robert, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

One of the rods on the gear lever(with the little ball

Customer Question

Hi mike , one of the rods on the gear lever(with the little ball joint) has broken down, there are two rods plus a cable , is it possible to buy just the one rod and ball joint ? My ven is a Peugeot expert 2002 diesel, thanks very much, regards dan
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi.there..

Is this actually directly under the gearstick itself where your both cables attach?

Whats the Registration or VIN of the van and i can have look at the parts diagram..

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Robert, it's a dashboard mounted gear shift and there are two rods with ball joints on the end plus a cable,, I think the cable just does reverse. My reg is GX02VTJ
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they are directly under the gear lever
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

Hi..there..ok i see your van now..

No - the entire gear control assembly unit or gearstick and pivots comes as one unit - that portion the cables attach too.so you would have to buy the coomplete unit unless you can find one in a breakers yard - you have reverse gear release cable..kind of thin diameter cable that fixes to the lift collor on the gearsitck itself,that might be what you refer to as the cable for reverse..you'll then have 2 larger main gear control cables that affix to the gear control assembly via ballsocket attachments..so one cable operates one side the gate and the other cable operates the other side of the gate as far as gear selection goes - If its the cables or one of them that leads upto the gearstick from the firewall/floor then it be one of them thats snapped as its them thats controls from the gearstick the selector mechnisim on the gearbox itself..and the only way to rectify that is to buy the control cables as a set as normally thats what they come as new..i think from what your saying its likely one of them has failed...I do hope this helps

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much Robert
Expert:  Robert replied 1 year ago.

No problem Dan - also please dont forget to leave your rating on the answer above..most appreciated..thank you