Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I bought a second hand Volvo s40 2.0 diesel 2006. She starts

Customer Question

I bought a second hand Volvo s40 2.0 diesel 2006. She starts poorly even in warm weather and I'm seeing a lot of blue smoke coming out if the exhaust. Also rattles quite a bit at start up. I have been told there is a problem with the injectors but these have been tested and fault cannot be identified. I have been told to get new injectors but I am not convinced this will solve the problem and have already spend over 500 euro in removing testing and resetting the injectors
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

If the injectors have been tested and found to be o.k. I dont think this is the cause here.Usually if they were at fault if they were tested properly this would point out the fault for them.

I have seen issues with a failed fuel pressure regulator on some models that have this regulator as well as fuel rail pressure sensor that can cause hard starting and smoke issues.If these have not been checked/tested at all this should be done to see if either of these are the cause here needing replaced.If the place you had the injectors tested is a reputable facility most likely the injectors are all o.k. but I have come across some facilities that test them and say their o.k. and find out later that one or more was at fault needing replaced.

If you are using any engine oil at all with this issue this may be a fault with piston rings leaking allowing oil into the cylinders causing the smoke here and hard starting.This would have to be checked into further to be sure and to locate and repair the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete