Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have a 1999 Isuzu 280 DT 4x4. When the diesel tank is at

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Isuzu 280 DT 4x4. When the diesel tank is at about 1 third full the engine dies and then when I refuel it starts again. What could the problem be?
Many thanks
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hello

1st thing to try is loosening off the fuel filler cap

as there's a 1 way valve in the cap to let air in as the tank drains to prevent a vacuum being created, which then stalls the lift pump

if this doesn't help then I'd replace the fuel filter as the next step as it only takes a small amount of dirt to clog them up and again make the lift pump less effective

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

it.

If this is OK then check the small vacuum lines to the turbo and its connected control solenoid on the bulkhead, any cracks or leaks can give turbo issues and its best to have the boost pressure measured actually measured with a boost gauge to check that the turbo is healthy and that the sensor is reading correctly

If its a variable vane turbo (they’ll be an actuator on the turbo body - but not a wastegate) then check its vacuum pipework as above and check the connections to the diaphragm / solenoid valve

Also worth checking that the glow-plug relay is switching off as they can stick on and leave the glow plugs also on - on some cars this can force it into limp home

Also worth considering adding a bottle of injector cleaner into the tank as a clogged injector nozzle will reduce power and give poor combustion - the next stage on from this is to remove all the injectors and have them ultrasonically cleaned and flow checked

Also check all the high pressure hoses post turbo/s for any split hoses or cracked metal pipes, also check the ends of the intercooler as its not unheard of to pop the end caps off under high boost.