sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Here. I'm trying to remove the bottom cover of the unit on a

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Eric, ***** ***** here. I'm trying to remove the bottom cover of the heather unit on a Mazda 6 so I can replace the Gear cables. Have all the screws out but can't remove the unit.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Mazda 6 04. Need to replace the Gear Cables.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $24) to post your type of question to Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: How long does it generally take for an expert to have a look at an issue?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

The bottom of the heater box isn't something that can be removed with the box in the vehicle.

Replacing the shift cables is a major repair compared to replacing the cables on most vehicles. To replace the shift cables you need to remove the battery and battery tray, the complete dash assembly, and the complete heater box. Removal of the heater box will require an a/c recovery machine.

Replacing the shift cables calls for 7.8 hours for a technician with the experience, training and all proper tools. It may be more than you'd want to try to do on your own.

What is the issue with the existing cables? Are the end bushings just worn?