Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

My jaguar x type 2 litre diesel will not start even though

Customer Question

My jaguar x type 2 litre diesel will not start even though though the battery and alternator are fine
It won't jump start but will if it is pushed
Can you help?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello

If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues

If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced

Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning and this is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is split between the site and the expert. I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget! Thank you

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I had tried all these things before I came to you at a local garage including checking the starter motor and you have not given me any other alternative to try.
I'm not being difficult but I still left with the same problem
Please be assured the only way it will start is by pushing it
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

hello

OK if it'll push start then the immoboliser must be OK

when you say the starter has been checked, have you tried putting 12V directly onto its solenoid to energise it without going through the ignition switch? as if the starter motor then turns the engine you know the main power circuit is OK

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have had an auto electictian at my local garage check it
He said alternator and starter motor are indepependenly ok
The problem seemed insurmountable so when I saw you online in thought it would maybe help
It seems you do not have the solution
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

hello

the alternator has nothing to do with starting so lets ignore that for now

like I said can you tell me does the starter motor turn the engine over if you give it 12V directly without going through the ignition switch?

as if this works then the issue must be with the ignition switch / starter relay

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The garage I took it to is on holiday until Tuesday
I will ask them if this was so
I believe the auto electrician checked the starter motor but until they open I won't know for sure
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

understood

just get back to me on this post when you know more