Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

My Name is ***** *****: Have Rover 75 Diesel. ECU got a bath

Customer Question

Customer: My Name is ***** *****: Have Rover 75 Diesel. ECU got a bath in heavy rain. As drivers door was replaced the key does not open door. The battery has now gone flat and the zapper will not activate the door. I need to open bonnet and replace battery to resolve problem.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I had drivers door replaces with second hand door. Key will not manually open door. Due to torrential rain the ECU / ECM got flooded. The battery is flat. The key zapper is ok but with flat battery I cannot get access to vehicle to open bonnet.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $30) to post your type of question to UK Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes. Thanks.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Since the door was replaced and the key will not unlock the door manually because of this you will have to have a lock service come out and try and use their tools like a Slim Jim to manually release the lock.Their tools usually slip in past the window to the inside of the door to grab and release the lock.Once this is done then you can access the battery to recharge it.

Any ECU or electrical component that has become wet will usually require replacement and the wiring and wiring connections to those components needs checked and cleaned and repaired as needed.

Unfortunately with a dead battery and the key not fitting the lock this will require a lock smith or tow service to unlock the vehicle.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete