Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I have 171 + 174 code on my Ford Ranger 3.0 v6 what would be

Customer Question

I have 171 + 174 code on my Ford Ranger 3.0 v6 what would be the best way to solve what's really going on since there's so many things that could happen that causes those two codes to come on
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, the best way is to start by checking and testing the most common causes of these lean codes

First, check the pcv valve for being clogged, then check the pcv valve hose for splits in it as this is very, very common.

If ok, then test for air leaks of any kind. With the engine idling, use a can of carb cleaner and spray the air intake tube, all vacuum hoses, and finally, the base of the intake manifold one at a time. If the idle changes when one is sprayed, that is your culprit and you will need to replace it. Vacuum hoses and intake manifold gasket are the next most common causes after split pcv valve hose.

If ok, then clean the MAF sensor with electronics parts cleaner, followed by testing fuel pressure, O2 sensors and finally cylinder leak down test for sticking or burnt valves.

The majority of the time it is either a pcv valve hose or air leak

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?

If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.

If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?