rpmdiag
rpmdiag, Tech and Instructor
Experience:  Since 1975
12769047

Its and my issue is with my ford focus dash light
,

Customer Question

Customer: its dave and my issue is with my ford focus dash light
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: normally when i turn off my ignition the dash board light goes off after about half an hour but sometimes for no reason the radio will stop working completely. when this happens my dash light remain on all night. then after after a few weeks the radio will start working again and dash lights go off as normal is there a relay that may need to replace ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to UK Ford Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: ok
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

Hi, I’m Ron and I can help you.
I have been in this business since 1975 and also teach automotive repair. I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please understand that I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Please be patient!
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you through it.

A computer is what controls this operation, so the best thing to do is scan the whole computer system for codes and errors. Data that's given can help in narrowing down why this is happening from a defective computer to even just re-flashing and updating the current one.

Thanks, Ron

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have no means of scanning the computer. I have looked at the on board dtc's and there are none.
The radio will start working properly again on its own , but there is no telling when. Its like there is a problem with the relay that controls the power to the radio, and when the radio goes dead the dash will not switch off even overnight and will drain the battery (I can tell this because I have a voltmeter in the cig lighter.)
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you direct me to the realy that lights the radio when the ignition is turned on?
Expert:  rpmdiag replied 11 months ago.

There is no relay fir that, my original answer still stands. The scan tool is needed to check all the modules for codes, not just the pcm. A code reader will not do this function.

Thanks