sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I've got a clio 182 and both side lights on the drivers side

Customer Question

I've got a clio 182 and both side lights on the drivers side went along with the fuse, changed both bulbs and the side lights still don't work as the fuse keeps going, even after the bulbs were replaced. Any suggestions?
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

Fuses blow because of high current draw on the circuit they protect. High current draw can be from a failing component or a short to ground on the circuit. A cooling fan motor for instance can cause excessive draw, but a light bulb's draw won't increase. If a lighting circuit fuse is blowing it is because of a short to ground on the circuit.

The problem is a short to ground somewhere between the fuse and the lights. The first thing that should be done is a visual inspection of the wiring. The problem may be wiring that has rubbed through and shorted to ground, it could be pinched or even the insulation melted in an area.

The most common place to find wiring issues with lighting circuits is trailer wiring. If you have trailer wiring that's where I would recommend starting. The issue could be with the wiring itself or it could be an internal short in the connector or a 4 way adapter.