Marty
Marty, European Car Expert
Experience:  ASE & Bosch Certified Master Tech. Over 30 years experience.
13230946

I have a2004 W211 E55 AMG. my gearbox was making a whining

Customer Question

Hi, I have a2004 W211 E55 AMG. my gearbox was making a whining sound like a supercharger whine. The car revved up but did not move. You switch it off and restart and it drives for a short while. I did a transmission service oil change and filter change. It solved the problem. After a few hard rides, it started again!
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Marty replied 1 year ago.

Hi, the first thing you should do is make sure that the transmission fluid is at the correct level using the Mercedes dipstick tool. A whining sound from the transmission is usually an indication of low fluid or a plugged filter or a bad pump assembly. If the noise is back after the filter change I'd suspect a pump problem. If the noise is gone but the transmission still won't shift you can try replacing the conductor plate in the transmission. If you continue to have trouble you will likely need to replace the transmission. On the early E class models there was also a problem with coolant mixing with the transmission fluid and ruining the transmission. You should have the fluid analyzed for coolant contamination. If there is coolant in the fluid you will also need to replace the radiator. A diagnostic scan with the Mercedes Star Diagnosis tester may reveal fault codes for the speed sensors in the transmission. If that is the case I would replace the conductor plate.

Let me know if you have any questions. Please click on a rating for my answer as this is the only way that I receive credit from the website for helping you.

Marty