Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a 2012 ML350 CDI and it will start but, electrics are

Customer Question

Customer: hi I have a 2012 ML350 CDI and it will start but , electrics are not operating, seats,command,aircon,interior lights, will not go into D or R
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: engine runs, fans go on full, no interior electrics work
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mercedes Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yep
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
a relay under seat was changed and fault went for half a day, vehicle left overnight and fault returned.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Inspect for water damage or water under the passenger front seat area,I have seen issues with water entering this area and damaging the front SAM control unit and other electronics causing issues like this here.If this has already been checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue from here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No idea why it would be water in the front interior of the car.... It's a w166 , the w164 are known for this on rear SAM ... It's been nowhere near any water deep enough to get into cabin .. I think it FRONT SAM but why would it work for half a day after they changed relay and the. When sag overnight for 12+ hours fault was back... No interior electrics work, power windows and mirrors central locking and instrument panel seem fine.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

I apologize for any delay.

It is possible the relay was defective due to a short with the front sam and the new relay may have corrected the issue temporarily until the new relay shorted out/failed.I apologize as I didnt see the year on the model and thought this was a 164 chassis.

This does sound like the Front sam itself at fault here with it needing replaced and the relay may need replaced as well again after the sam replacement.I would have this checked into/tested further to be sure that this is the cause here before having it replaced.

Thanks Pete