Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

I have a european C180 1997 model and my issue is keys. I

Customer Question

I have a european C180 1997 model and my issue is keys. I broke the only key I had and am using the wallet key to get around. Several places have offered to sell me the complete key and lock and unlock key fob assembly
it is the switchblade style
Can I buy one of those and use the instructions to program it myself?
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My door lock is on the drivers side and does not appear to have an IR sensor in it.
Until I broke the only key fob that had a remote it would work when I pointed it at the rear view mirror.
Also my wallet key has a transmitter in it and I have installed new batteries but it will not work either
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.

Unfortunately when a key is lost or broken the only way to get a key that will work and work properly with your vehicle is from a Mercedes dealer.They have to order in the key for your specific model from the manufacture by the VIN number from your vehicle.It will come pre programmed ready to operate the locks and starting on your vehicle.

Any other key will not work as it is programmed to a different model vehicle and even swapping out components to try and make a different key work may cost more then a new key from a dealer.

The dealer can order in the key over night for you.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help.

Thanks Pete