Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

2013 Fiesta hatchback- is at my local Cherokee Ford Dealer

Customer Question

2013 Fiesta hatchback- is at my local Cherokee Ford Dealer in Alpharetta, GA. They told me the computer had to be re-programmed for one hour LABOR fee. This doesn't sound reasonable to me. reprogram the cars comouter after 8 weeks being idle and the batttery is15-mos, old and now holding a charge. I need your opinion. The Fiesta was not started for 8 weeks and required a 'jump-start' .It was driven an hour / 27 miles and after shutting off car, the battery still would not hold a charge. Ten hours later, I contacted AAA, to jump Battery a 2nd time. Turned off car and 12 hours later it restarted fine.This is AAA Starting Test stats => BATTERY TEST (Charge & Retest) Rated=500 CCA | Measured= 0 CCA | Voltage=4.18V | Temp outdoor=73deg F" => STARTING TEST(Normal) Voltage= 9.66V / Cranking Current =118.4A ) =>CHARGING TEST {Excessive Ripple) No Load Voltg=13.32V_| Loaded Voltg =13.12V => DRAIN TEST (Pass)(Current = 0.33 A
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 11 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, the ECM which is the main onboard computer can and will lose parameter settings if the vehicle sits idle that long, which is why it is recommended to have a trickle charger put on the battery if a newer vehicle is going to sit unused for more than a couple of weeks. When this happens, then the ecm does require being reprogrammed and 1 hour labor is the standard charge for this service.