Kevin
Kevin, UK Car Mechanic
Experience:  Diagnostic technician at vw /audi specialist
84635724

I have a 2007 Mercedes ML420 cdi. Suddenly my seatbelts have

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Mercedes ML420 cdi. Suddenly my seatbelts have begun to tighten quite suddenly, intermittently for no apparent reason. My ESP light on the dashboard is also flashing intermittently, although that particular problem has been happening for a while, the seatbelt issue has just begun. Have you any idea what may be causing that please?
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
The auto electric company have tested all the wheel sensors and ABS etc on their diagnostics and no fault codes have come up. There was a fault code came up showing a slight steering alignment issue, but they re calibrated that. The only other thing I can tell you is that I did have a new tyre fitted on the front passenger side, and a puncture repaired on the drivers side rear on the same day this seatbelt issue arose - not sure if these can be linked though? Thanks.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have just noticed that the dealer who fitted the new tyre on the front has used a slightly different tyre size. My existing three tyres are all 255 - 18 -55, the new tyre just been fitted is a '225' - 18 - 55 . Could that be the reason the seatbelts are auto tensioning every few minutes? I have contacted the garage and they are going to fit the correct tyre size on Monday.
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

Hi im kevin this will be the cause if the tyre size is incorrect it will give an incorrect wheel speed once tyre is changed you will be all sorted

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Kevin, Thank you, ***** ***** getting the tyre changed today and will let you know if this solves the problem.
regards
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

No worries let me know how you get on

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Kevin
I have just driven back from the garage with the correct tyre on, but the seatbelts are still self tensioning. Is there a chance the car needs to reset itself or something, ie, does it take time to adjust to the fact that the correct tyre is now fitted?
Regards
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

It shouldn't need any reset time the next step is to have car plugged in and fault codes read from system

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Kevin, even though there were no fault codes yesterday? I already mentioned that this had been done when trying to find the problem originally. Are you saying that there is probably now new faults because the correct tyre is now fitted?
Regards
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

I would check this before going further it's likely system will deploy without logging a fault

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Kevin, no faults logged. Still no further forward I'm afraid. At a loss now!
Expert:  Kevin replied 11 months ago.

I've not come across this before let me opt out another tech may be able to assist

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No problem, thanks for your help anyway, I appreciate your input