Pete, Car Enthusiast
Experience:  Over 17 years experience diagnosing and repairing automobiles.
14928985

My porsche boxster 986 does not crank or start. got DTC

Customer Question

Hi Mark, my porsche boxster 986 does not crank or start. got DTC P1640
Factory Fault Code 105 - ECM faulty
Category: UK Car
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I've checked the starter motor and it cranks when spannered the solenoid contacts. Immobiliser unit fuse is ok and the car locks and unlocks with key. This happened after a I did a power wash.
Symptoms: Car when stalled when engine warm wont start straight away. Is there a chance of grounding issue?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

The code here indicates the ECM is faulty needing replaced.This is a straight forward code indicating an internal fault in the ECM itself.It may be when the vehicle is warm the ECM circuits internally act up/fail causing this here needing replaced.

Since this occured after a power wash I would check and make sure the ECM wiring connections did not get any water in them and that the wiring is all o.k.

The only other common fault that triggers this code is incorrect coding/programming for the ECM with a dealer needing to re code/reprogram it to correct this here but since this is intermittent this can be water in the connections needing dried out or a faulty ECM.

Water may have made its way into the ECM causing it to fail/act up like this here.

P1640 ECM faulty

NOTE: These faults concern faults in the Engine Control Module (ECM). If such faults occur replace the ECM.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thanks Pete, is there anywhere I can send this ECU for test and repair apart from the dealers?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I've also got a spare one from breakers, I guess I can get this unit recoded to my car by the dealers?
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

Your welcome.

I dont know of any place myself that this can be sent to for repair.You might check with a dealer or repair center to see if there is any place they use to send it to for repair.

The used one might be able to be coded to your vehicle as well.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here.

Thanks Pete