sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

, I trapped the branch of a tree in my drivers door

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Hi I trapped the branch of a tree in my drivers door window when i closed it. When I tried to open the window again with the door switch it didn't work, and neither does any of the other switches on the door panel work ie mirrors, door locks,all electric windows, interior light and I can't find out which fuses or relays are affected. thanks
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Jeep Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes no problem
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It does sound as if you may have blown a fuse, although it could be a switch or wiring problem.

What year and model is the vehicle?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi again, Its a Jeep Grand Cherokee Platinum. I thought I may have blown a fuse but I've checked all the fuses and they seem to be fine. Can you tell me where I can locate the circuit breaker for the electrical power windows? At present my windows don't open,my heating is not producing heat.my dashboard lights are dull and my central locking is not locking my driver door only the other doors. All this was caused by me trapping a conifer in my drivers window and not realising this when I tried to close my window. Thanks
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 12 months ago.

What year is the vehicle?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
It's a 54 plate

Do you have the VIN?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
VIN is 1J8G8E8A44Y153935

It's a 2004.

Can you open the passenger side windows from the passenger door's switch?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No we can't open a y window from any door

Do the dome lights come on when the front doors are opened?

Do the lights stay on unless they're turned off with the dimmer?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Do you mean interior lights?
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
when it first happened the interior lights stayed on when we closed all the doors and operated the alarm so I had to turn the lights off via the dimmer switch. But now the lights go off when you shut the doors and turn the alarm on but the interior lights don't work when opening or closing the drivers door

You most likely have two issues. Your driver and passenger door modules are down. It could be the modules themselves but is most likely a wiring issue.

When you open the doors you'll note a black rubber boot. In this boot is the wiring harness that runs from the door to the body harness. This wiring flexes each time the door is opened and closed and can eventually break. In cases like yours you will usually find the large black ground or orange power feed wire is broken.