Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Just had pads and discs to front and cylinder to rear after

Customer Question

Just had pads and discs to front and cylinder to rear after getting back driving brake ok then pedal solid as if servo gone and keeps happening very frightening
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Eric replied 12 months ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

When this happens, do you notice any engine idling issues or engine surge or hesitation? Because the servo operates off engine vacuum, if there is an engine vacuum issue it can affect the brake servo with loss of vacuum and cause a hard brake pedal

If no engine issues, then the servo check valve should be tested and if ok, then the servo is starting to fail

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No engine surge or idling issues there was not a problem with brakes until they changed discs and pads and found a leaky cylinder to rear when I went to collect the mechanic said I'm not happy with brakes they feel spongy 10 mins later after bleeding brakes again he said that feels better all done I drove off left car outside house for 2 days over w/e went to work Tuesday morning 10 mins on motorway traffic building up stop and start brakes started going hard and and then working it's not a permanent issue its intermittent
Expert:  Eric replied 12 months ago.

HI,

Do you know if he removed the brake master cylinder as the servo for any reason? If so, it is possible that some brake fluid got into the servo which would cause this