sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My alarm seems to diable the car after just a few seconds.

Customer Question

hi chris, my alarm seems to diable the car after just a few seconds. Dash light with odo meter does not come on when this happens. How can i disable the alarm, and where is the valet switch located
Category: UK Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you have factory security, which the symptoms do point to, then there isn't a valet switch or a way to disable it.

If the instrument cluster doesn't work at the time the engine starts and dies then the problem is in the cluster. What happens is cracked solder joints on the cluster circuit board will cause the cluster to try to ground through the communication bus. This prevents the body controller from sending a message to the engine controller that it's ok to run the engine.

Usually this can be repaired by removing the circuit board from the instrument cluster and resoldering the two rows of joints where the electrical connector terminals solder to the front side of the board.