Greg
Greg, Shop Owner
Experience:  17 years Shop Owner /Technician. 27 years experience,
29331485

Have replaced both front callipers on my 2002 citroen c5

Customer Question

have replaced both front callipers on my 2002 citroen c5 have followed instructions on bleeding etc but without engine brakes are firm and do not go soft as soon as engine starts the pedal goes soft will pump up but sinks if foot kept on pedal there appears to be no air in system i clamped flexi pipes before changing callipers so was hoping you might have an answer thanks alan
Category: UK Car
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Put the clamps back on the flex pipes and see if the brakes stay hard .

If the brakes stay hard then you have still air in the calipers .

Check the calipers and see if the bleed nipple is on the top or on the lower side of the of the caliper .

Should be on the top part of the caliper if its on the bottom part swap over the caliper from the l;eft to right and right to left this will put the bleed nipple on top so you can bleed it better.

T%his happens a lot but not known it to happen on the Cit.

Get back to me .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
was the same with the clamps on have wound the pistons back and gone thru the adjusting routine brakes are better but still spongy when engine running allthough not as bad as before any ideas .alan
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Will op[t out and see if any of my fellow experts can help .

Rgds Greg

Expert:  Kevin replied 1 year ago.

Hi I'm Kevin can I get a bit of background is car new to you ? Has car got new brakes also or just calipers ? Why were calipers changed ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
had car 3 years failed mot handbrake caliper seized tried to free but didnot so as calipers original 12 years old decided to change them followed manual now i have a good hard brake when engine not running but becomes spongy when engine running although they work have power bled system today no air in system so to be honest now have no idea what else to do
Expert:  Greg replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alan .

Did not want you to be left hanging in the air so i did a lot of checking around and got in touch with a friend of mine that works on

Pug's and Citroen's he said if the system runs dry or managers to get a bit of air in the system it has to be bleed with the scan tool first the manual way then bleed with the ABS system .

Hope this helps regards Greg